African Mask

African Mask

Tuesday 10 May 2011

True LOVE

Starting a business as a jewelry designer comes with a risk that you won't find in any textbooks on "How to Start a Business" or "How to Write a Business Plan". The risk I'm talking about is falling in LOVE... falling in LOVE with every piece you create. I believe every jewelry artist, creator of wearable art, and creators of art in general whether wearable or not is always in that all too well known space. What space you might ask? Let me take you there: You've selected the right colors and chosen the right patterns; measured and prepped; counted and strung, or weaved, or whatever; tied your last knot, or crimp, or... are you there yet? If you create other art you know the routine all too well also. The irony is... you should be falling in LOVE with everything you create. That's a sign that you're doing something right. Keep it up and everything else will fall into place.


For example: These earrings, they took a couple of hours to make but every minute was filled with excitement to see the finished product. They also took me to that "place" and I've decided that I want to share my LOVE for them with someone else who's feeling the LOVE.


1 comment:

  1. Good post. You hit the nail right on the head. I've often been sad to see a piece go...but also hope it was going to a good home :-D

    ReplyDelete