African Mask

African Mask

Friday 13 May 2011

IF MY PARTNER FARMS FISH AM I A FISHWIFE?

In this household we raise fish, earthworms, the roof, thorny issues....
But I am in my lofty tower sewing, painting, singing and having conversations with my African Inguni dog about colour and fabric choices.

The household meets in the evening for sundowners, dinner and discussion. We go over productivity. We compare the mouthbrooding of 300 fish spawn with the almost but not quite completed belt or handbag to be listed on Etsy. Someone suggests offering free fishlings with every belt. Others think a handbag full of tilapia mossambica might be a big draw card. I am stuck with the question of shipping.

The next day I return to my eyrie and begin to sew a wall hanging in warm African tones. The motifs are fish. Delicious chocolate, bronze, raisin, truffle, papaya are the fabrics that come to mind. The colours are edible. The fish are edible. The question returns; if my partner raises fish am I a fishwife?

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha..I'm not sure..maybe you are...if your husband farms you are certainly a farmers wife...it sounds like he farms fish..so maybe it would be kinder to call yourself a farmers wife.. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a "fishwife" doesn't sound so bad. I want to be one if it means having more time to be crafty. That fishwife thing doesn't sound so bad to me. Can I be a fishwife please, huh, please!

    ReplyDelete