African Mask

African Mask

Sunday 8 January 2012

Thank you Kenya!

So here we are and another year has come and gone. I am so thankful for the year I had. in November of 2011 I had the privilege of visiting Kenya. I stayed in a slum called Kibera which is located in Nairobi. The experience was life changing and I even found love. It was in Kibera that I learned what the true sense of community is. People worked together without expectation of monetary compensation or a promise of a future favor; they work together because they know their survival is dependent upon it. If America can shift its culture from the individualist that it is to such a culture, we too would be prosperous. I guess it will happen when all other options have been exhausted. Don't get me wrong, I love my America, I just wish think we have a lot to learn when it comes to the spirit of community.

The best part of my travels was a visit to Lake Victoria where I ate the biggest and freshest piece of tilapia that I ever had in my life. Another unforgettable experience was when we visited Siaya county and took a casual stroll in the night. The only light that could be seen was the shining moon and stars which made for a peaceful moment. There is so much beauty in Africa that is yet untold. I plan to visit again shortly. The people have made me feel as though it is now home for me as well. I guess when you set out to help others you find you helping yourself too. Thank you Kenya!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Audrey!
    It's great to get insight into how people live in other parts of the world. I think that long ago when the USA was a fledgeling country and life was hard, people helped each other in a similar way.

    This kind of behaviour starts with each one of us. We can begin today. :-D

    ReplyDelete