African Mask

African Mask

Friday 24 June 2011

African fabric prints!

Have you ever noticed that African fabrics have an almost otherworldly beauty? Colors and designs and textures that a Western-raised person would never even consider combining all mingle in a wonderful, beautiful symphony. Even the very basic, functional items are adorned with beautiful designs.

The following two watercolors are part of a small series I am painting of children in Africa. Those who have visited my Etsy shop MossyRockDesigns may know that we are in the process of adopting a little girl from Ethiopia, so my mind and my prayers have been dwelling on orphans. This, in turn, inspired these two and the other 10 paintings in this series.

This little ACEO was so much fun to paint, I think I will paint a series in the near future that shows several African women, each wearing differently printed clothes.

I carry my own son around in a sling all the time. This little guy doesn't look too happy about having his picture taken, but he is as snug as a bug in a rug.

If you would like to see more of the paintings in this series, please visit my art blog, HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment